Changemaker Schools is a new programme to identify, support and connect innovative schools around the world. These schools are empowering young people to be changemakers – children with the empathy, creativity, teamwork and leadership skills to unleash the full potential of themselves and others. The next generation leading social, environmental and economic development.
In a rapidly changing world, many primary schools across Ireland and the world recognise the need for a new way of learning. By building this network, Ashoka aims to showcase best practice and inspire new ways of thinking in education systems globally.
As part of the network, these schools will:
- Be part of a global community of innovative primary schools with the opportunity to share knowledge and experiences, and collaborate on programmes.
- Connect with relevant Ashoka Fellows and their work to explore the implementation of new programmes and methodologies.
- Work with a broader network across sectors to address barriers in advancing innovation in the education system.
What Does a Changemaker School Look Like?
Five Irish primary schools from Dublin, Cork, Kerry and Armagh have become the first on the island of Ireland to join 100 other schools across the US, Europe and Africa to be recognised for their wide variety of innovative approaches - from using yoga to improve behaviour to letting children manage school farms, among many other initiatives. Meet Ireland's first Changemaker Schools here!
Changemaker Schools & Ashoka
Changemaker Schools has been inspired by Ashoka’s history of identifying and investing in over 3,000 social entrepreneurs, Ashoka Fellows. These social entrepreneurs have devised new solutions to some of the world’s biggest social, economic and environmental challenges, with many giving rise to major global trends and movements. 700 Ashoka Fellows in 22 countries are working directly with young people, providing them with opportunities to lead from an early age and develop the skills they need to be changemakers. In Ireland, Ashoka is supporting the spread of innovations in education, in projects such as Roots of Empathy, CoderDojo, Playworks and more.
From Ashoka's Global office in Washington DC, Changemaker Schools and Ashoka Fellows have worked together to develop tools and resources for anyone interested in helping young people become changemakers.
- TAKE A COURSE! Enroll in Ashoka's free online course: "Activating Empathy: A Roadmap to Changemaker Classrooms"
- DOWNLOAD THE EMPATHY TOOLKIT! Find dozens of practical tips for promoting empathy and other changemaking skills among children
- NOMINATE A CHANGEMAKER SCHOOL! Read about the criteria and process to become a changemaker schools, then make a nomination
Interested in learning more? Contact Conor Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org